Tuesday, October 04, 2005

When the heart smiles ...

A jubilant kid in Ettimadai Village

Once upon a time, my child
they used to laugh with their hearts
and laugh with their eyes.

I have learned to wear many faces
like dresses— homeface,
officeface, streetface, hostface,
coctailface, with all their conforming smiles
like a fixed portrait smile.

And I have learned, too,
to laugh with only my teeth
and shake hands without my heart.

I want to be what I used to be
when I was like you, I want
to unlearn all these muting things.
Most of all, I want to relearn
how to laugh, for my laugh in the mirror
shows only my teeth like a snake’s bare fangs!

So show me, my child,
how to laugh; show me how
I used to laugh and smile
once upon a time when I was like you.

( This is an excerpt from the poem "Once Upon a Time" by Gabriel Okara a Nigerian Poet. With due apologies, i have taken the liberty to plug in 2 words ' my child' in place of the word 'son' )

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

...and when one is wished happy birthday, does one acknowledge?

effie

Monday, October 03, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have captured it all in just one click and your apt addition of Okara's poetry added a deeper dimension to it. May I know where you shot this picture. By the way I got to know you through your friend in Amsterdam. I am a cardiologist based in Sweden.Will write to you soon.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Photo is wonderful! I met a little girl from Berlin last week and she was always smiling and laughing invoking so much joy around her. Your blog reminded me of her. How easy is that smile! She had learnt the word "Bakaro" which means 'stupid' in Japanese and was using the same on a Japanese friend of mine when he used German to tell her something. She was rolling with laughter to hear the pronounciation and as much as her we enjoied so much too. How much do we waste in throwing off such an innocence? Nice blog. Keep it coming.

Monday, October 10, 2005  
Blogger Nero said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Saturday, October 15, 2005  
Blogger Karthik Sankar said...

"for my laugh in the mirror
shows only my teeth like a snake’s bare fangs!"

are wonderful..Iam slowly beginning to appreciate picture painting with words

It is true that we continue to show our teeth(in my case it is being reset..quite expensively)to add that extra glitter to the empty laugh!!!

Saturday, December 31, 2005  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home