Sunday, January 02, 2005

Strange ways of reconciling

I was on my way back to the campus, walking on the railway track hardly looking much ahead, i was quite oblivious of people passing by me. ..and most of them, i now realise that, gave way to me seeing me walk as if i have gone blind. At one instant looked straight and and kept walking and its then i found him getting on to the railway track and walked with gay abandon as if he just reclaimed his path way . Had it been any one else, i would not have felt any qualms about it, but since it is this guy i really suspected that he is all set for a confrontation or a deliberate head on collision if neither of us gave way...and i possibly would not have moved aside. I maintained a rather cold relationship with this guy and have had numerous rough confrontations with him on the professional front and i know that he could not react much in the campus fearing official repercussions. But then, there i was out side the campus, right on the same track walking opposite to him, and he got on to the track seeing me...and more so because he knew that i saw him as well. I thought perhaps this is his chosen hour all for himself to unleash his wrath on me.

Hardly a few steps short of a head on collision....and my silent rage and anxiety fuming up.... i found him smiling at me....and he gently stepped aside for me...and his this move had no tinge of anything dramatic , instead it was courageously graceful. After a long time, we smiled at each other...and all the frozen remorse and apprehensions just began to melt away.

The rest of my walking to the campus was more of a contemplative sojourn. I have really begun to respect this person now for, i am really amazed at the way he chose bridge the increasing distance between us.Yes, now i feel that he knew me rather too very well and perhaps that's the reason why he never chose to make any attempts to talk to me directly...he knew rather too very well that i will hold on to my prejudiced convictions...and i knew this too that though he might have always despised my ill temper, he had great appreciation for my work. Well, i would have loved to hear it from him straight all along...but then...with just one single bold, thoughtful and gentle move he spoke so eloquently well.

I initially thought, when i resolved not to give way to him on the railway track, that i did not get intimidated (apparently) by his opposing presence...but now i realise that he is far more courageous than me because stepping aside to give way for me, he stepped straight into by being. Where i had only remorse against me, there dwells respect for the person he is.

Don't know what to call it...."Close encounters of the third kind" or "Closed encounters of the third kind"..?

1 Comments:

Blogger Santhanam said...

Very nice piece of life literature which makes me to sink deep in my thoughts. Does separation makes people to think and develop some respect towards each other ?. I think most of the times we appreciate a human being's value ONLY when he/she is not with us. Each one of us will be definitely having/facing similar type of experience. We would appreciate the loved one's value only when we lost them. It is better than God/Nature should give us temporary separation to understand people better rather than permanently lose them. May god bless us all with capacity to even understand and repect not only our friends but also our opponents.I feel that we can lose to our loved ones so that we will see winners in our selves.

Friday, February 11, 2005  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home